Tipperary is a classic cocktail made with Irish whiskey, sweet vermouth, and green chartreuse. It’s a delicious and complex drink with a herbal and slightly spicy taste.
- 5 cl Irish whiskey
- 2.5 cl sweet red vermouth
- 1.5 cl green Chartreuse
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Pour all ingredients into mixing glass with ice cubes. Stir well. Strain into chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a slice of orange.
Directions for how to make the Tipperary
- Fill a mixing glass with ice cubes.
- Pour 5 cl of Irish whiskey into the mixing glass.
- Add 2.5 cl of sweet red vermouth to the mixing glass.
- Add 1.5 cl of green Chartreuse to the mixing glass.
- Add 2 dashes of Angostura bitters to the mixing glass.
- Stir the mixture well using a bar spoon.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a slice of orange.
Tips for how to make the perfect Tipperary
- The glassware: Use a rocks glass or a tumbler, add 1-2 large ice cubes or crushed ice.
- The ingredients: Combine equal parts of Irish whiskey, Chartreuse, and sweet vermouth. Stir gently to combine.
- The garnish: Cut a small piece of orange peel, express the oils over the drink, and rub the rim of the glass with it. Use it as a garnish.
- The temperature: Serve it chilled but not cold. Let it rest for a minute before you take a sip.
- The variations: You can adjust the recipe to your taste by adding more or less whiskey, or switching the sweet vermouth for another type of vermouth or aperitif.
Alcohol-free alternative to the Tipperary
One alcohol-free alternative to the drink Tipperary is to create a mocktail version using similar flavors. This mocktail can contain fresh lemon juice, cane sugar or molasses, aromatic bitters, and a splash of traditional Italian soda like San Pellegrino Chinotto. To make the drink, simply shake the ingredients with ice and strain into a glass filled with fresh ice. You can also add a slice of fresh lemon or a sprig of rosemary for an extra aesthetic touch. This drink will be delicious and refreshing, without the effects of alcohol.
Tipperary fun facts
- Tipperary is a classic cocktail made with Irish whiskey, sweet vermouth and green Chartreuse.
- The drink was named after a town in County Tipperary, Ireland.
- The Tipperary was featured in the 2011 cocktail book, “PDT Cocktail Book: The Complete Bartender’s Guide from the Celebrated Speakeasy.”
- The drink is also known as the “Green Beast” due to its green color and the high alcohol content of Chartreuse.
- The Tipperary has been described as a complex and sophisticated drink with a bold and herbaceous flavor profile.