Rusty nail is a classic cocktail made with two main ingredients: Scotch whisky and Drambuie. It is typically served over ice and garnished with a twist of lemon.
Rusty nail recipe
45 ml Scotch whisky25 ml Drambuie
Pour all ingredients directly into an old fashioned glass filled with ice. Stir gently.
Directions for how to make the Rusty nail
To make a Rusty nail drink, follow these steps:
- Fill an Old fashioned glass with ice.
- Measure and pour in 45 ml of Scotch whisky.
- Measure and pour in 25 ml of Drambuie.
- Use a stirrer or spoon to stir the ingredients gently.
- Serve and enjoy the Rusty nail drink.
Tips for how to make the perfect Rusty nail
- Use a good quality Scotch whisky and Drambuie liqueur for the best flavor.
- Mix the ingredients in a shaker with ice to ensure a perfectly chilled cocktail.
- Strain the cocktail into a glass over ice and garnish with a twist of lemon or orange for an extra pop of citrus flavor.
- If you prefer a sweeter cocktail, add a dash of honey or simple syrup to the mix.
Alcohol-free alternative to the Rusty nail
One alcohol-free alternative to Rusty Nail is the “Rusty Water.” It is a simple mocktail that mimics the flavor of the classic cocktail without using any alcoholic components.
- 2 oz ginger ale
- 2 oz orange juice
- 1/2 oz honey
- Dash of bitters
- Fill a rocks glass with ice.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine the ginger ale, orange juice, honey, and bitters.
- Shake until well mixed.
- Strain the mixture into the rocks glass.
- Garnish with a lemon twist or orange slice (optional).
- Serve and enjoy your alcohol-free Rusty Water!
Rusty nail fun facts
- Rusty Nail is a cocktail made by mixing Scotch whisky and Drambuie, a Scottish liqueur made with honey, herbs, and spices.
- The drink was created in the early 20th century by a bartender in New York City.
- The cocktail was named after the rusted nails found in old Scottish shipyards, as the drink was said to have a rusty or “nail-like” taste.
- In Scotland, drinking Rusty Nail with ice is considered a faux pas, as it dilutes the flavors of the drink.
- The Rusty Nail has been featured in numerous movies and TV shows, including Mad Men and Sex and the City.