Planter’s Punch is a classic Caribbean cocktail with a fruity flavor and rum base. It is typically made with citrus juices, grenadine, and sometimes a dash of bitters.
Planter’s punch recipe
- 45 ml Jamaican rum
- 15 ml lime juice
- 30 ml sugar cane juice
Pour all ingredients directly in a small tumbler or a typical terracotta glass.
Directions for how to make the Planter’s punch
- Gather all necessary ingredients and tools, including Jamaican rum, lime juice, sugar cane juice, a small tumbler or terracotta glass, and a jigger.
- Fill the tumbler or glass with ice, leaving enough room for the liquid ingredients.
- Measure 45 ml of Jamaican rum using the jigger, and pour it over the ice in the glass.
- Measure 15 ml of fresh lime juice using the jigger, and pour it into the glass with the rum.
- Measure 30 ml of sugar cane juice using the jigger, and pour it into the glass with the rum and lime juice.
- Stir the ingredients together thoroughly, ensuring that the sugar cane juice is fully dissolved and evenly distributed throughout the drink.
- Taste the Planter’s punch and adjust the levels of rum, lime juice, or sugar cane juice as desired to achieve a balanced and flavorful cocktail.
- Optional: Garnish the drink with a lime wedge, freshly grated nutmeg, or a sprig of mint for added visual appeal and complexity of flavor.
- Serve the Planter’s punch immediately and enjoy!
Tips for how to make the perfect Planter’s punch
- Use fresh-squeezed fruit juices for a more authentic and flavorful drink.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of rum to find the perfect combination for your taste preferences. Dark or spiced rums can add depth and complexity to the drink.
- To balance the sweetness of the fruit juices, consider adding a splash of sour mix or a squeeze of lime.
- Make sure to stir or shake the drink well before serving to ensure that all of the ingredients are mixed together properly.
- To make the drink more visually appealing, garnish with a slice of fruit or a sprig of mint.
Alcohol-free alternative to the Planter’s punch
One alcohol-free alternative to Planter’s Punch is a tropical fruit punch made with a combination of pineapple, orange, and mango juice. To make this refreshing drink, mix equal parts of the three juices and add a splash of grenadine syrup for color and sweetness. Serve the fruity punch over ice with a garnish of pineapple or orange slices and a cherry. You can also add a dash of lime juice or soda water for a little extra kick. This alcohol-free alternative is perfect for those who want a refreshing and fruity drink without the buzz.
Planter’s punch fun facts
- Planter’s punch is a popular tropical drink that originated in Jamaica in the late 1800s.
- The drink is traditionally made with dark rum, lime juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, and grenadine syrup.
- The exact recipe for Planter’s punch varies widely, with different regions and bartenders adding their own unique twists to the drink.
- The name “Planter’s punch” refers to the planters or plantation owners who would enjoy the drink after a long day of work in the tropics.
- The classic recipe for Planter’s punch is as follows: “One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, and four of weak.” This refers to one part lime juice, two parts sugar, three parts rum, and four parts water or juice.