The Hemingway Special is a classic cocktail made with white rum, grapefruit juice, maraschino liqueur, and fresh lime juice. Named after the famous author who loved to drink and write, this refreshing and tangy cocktail is perfect for summer sipping.
Hemingway special recipe
- 6 cL (12 parts) Rum
- 4 cl (8 parts) grapefruit juice
- 1.5 cL (3 parts) Maraschino liqueur
- 1.5 cl (3 parts) fresh lime juice
Pour all ingredients into a shaker with ice. Shake.
Directions for how to make the Hemingway special
To make a Hemingway special drink:
- Add 6 cL of rum, 4 cl of grapefruit juice, 1.5 cL of Maraschino liqueur, and 1.5 cl of fresh lime juice to a shaker with ice.
- Close the shaker tightly and shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a slice of grapefruit, lime wheel, or cocktail cherry, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy the delicious Hemingway special drink!
Tips for how to make the perfect Hemingway special
- Use a good quality rum such as Papa’s Pilar or Flor de Caña.
- Use fresh grapefruit juice and fresh lime juice for a bright and tangy flavor.
- Use honey instead of simple syrup for a slightly sweeter and richer taste.
- Shake the ingredients vigorously with ice for at least 15 seconds to properly dilute and chill the drink.
- Strain the drink into a chilled coupe glass for an elegant presentation.
- Garnish the drink with a twist of grapefruit or lime peel for a pop of color and added citrus aroma.
Alcohol-free alternative to the Hemingway special
The Hemingway Special is a cocktail made with rum, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and maraschino liqueur. An alcohol-free alternative to this drink could be a mocktail that includes the same fruity and citrusy flavors but omits the rum and maraschino liqueur.
Here’s a recipe for an alcohol-free version of the Hemingway Special:
- 3 oz grapefruit juice
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1 oz simple syrup
- Club soda
- Grapefruit slice for garnish
- Add grapefruit juice, lime juice, and simple syrup to a shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well and strain into a glass filled with ice.
- Top with club soda and stir gently.
- Garnish with a grapefruit slice.
This mocktail version of the Hemingway Special is refreshing and tangy, with a hint of sweetness from the simple syrup. The club soda adds a bit of fizz and makes the drink feel extra refreshing. It’s a perfect alternative for anyone looking for a non-alcoholic option that still has plenty of flavor.
Hemingway special fun facts
- The Hemingway Special is a cocktail that was created specifically for writer and adventurer, Ernest Hemingway.
- Hemingway was a diabetic, so this cocktail was made without sugar (which is unusual for most cocktails).
- Also known as the “Papa Doble,” the Hemingway Special features rum, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and maraschino liqueur.
- The cocktail was said to be Hemingway’s favorite, and he was known to consume several of them in one sitting.
- The Hemingway Special is often served with a grapefruit wedge, as the acidity of the fruit complements the flavors in the cocktail.