Grasshopper is a sweet, creamy cocktail made with crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and cream. It is typically served after-dinner as a digestif.
- 3 cl crème de menthe (green)
- 3 cl crème de cacao (white)
- 3 cl cream
Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake briskly and then strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Directions for how to make the Grasshopper
- Take a cocktail shaker and fill it with ice
- Pour 3 cl crème de menthe (green) into the shaker
- Add 3 cl crème de cacao (white) into the shaker
- Pour 3 cl cream into the shaker
- Shake the mixture in the shaker vigorously for a few seconds
- Take a chilled cocktail glass and strain the mixture into it
- Serve the cocktail immediately.
Enjoy your delicious Grasshopper!
Tips for how to make the perfect Grasshopper
- Use equal parts crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and heavy cream for a balanced flavor.
- Shake the ingredients vigorously with ice cubes to ensure a frothy texture.
- Serve the Grasshopper in a chilled glass and garnish with a sprig of mint for an extra touch of freshness.
- Adjust the ingredient ratios to taste, but be careful not to add too much crème de menthe as it can overpower the other flavors.
Alcohol-free alternative to the Grasshopper
One alcohol-free alternative to the Grasshopper is the “Virgin Mint Choco-Chip Shake”. This chilled and creamy dessert is made with vanilla ice cream, fresh mint leaves, and chocolate chips blended together until smooth. It has the refreshing taste of mint with the indulgent flavor of chocolate, delivering a sweet and decadent sensation while remaining completely alcohol-free. This mocktail is perfect for those who want to satisfy their sweet tooth without the buzz from alcohol. It can be garnished with a sprig of fresh mint and served in a classic milkshake glass for a fun and retro look.
Grasshopper fun facts
- The Grasshopper cocktail was first introduced in the early 20th century and gained popularity during the 1950s and 1960s.
- The original recipe calls for equal parts crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and cream.
- The Grasshopper is often served as an after-dinner drink or dessert cocktail.
- Variations of the Grasshopper include using different types of liqueurs or adding ice cream to make it more of a milkshake-style drink.
- The Grasshopper is a signature drink of New Orleans and is commonly found on the menus of French Quarter restaurants and bars.