Caipirinha is a traditional Brazilian cocktail made with Cachaça, lime, and sugar. It is a refreshing and tangy drink that is popular both nationally and internationally.
- 60 ml cachaça
- 1 lime cut into small wedges
- 4 teaspoons white cane sugar
Place lime and sugar into a double old fashioned glass and muddle gently. Fill the glass with cracked ice and add Cachaça. Stir gently to involve ingredients.
Directions for how to make the Caipirinha
- Cut one lime into small wedges
- Place the lime wedges and 4 teaspoons of white cane sugar into a double old fashioned glass
- Muddle the lime and sugar gently, until the lime juice is released and the sugar is dissolved
- Fill the glass with cracked ice
- Add 60 ml of cachaça to the glass
- Stir gently to combine all ingredients
- Garnish with a lime wedge if desired
- Enjoy your homemade Caipirinha!
Tips for how to make the perfect Caipirinha
- Use fresh limes: Squeeze ½ lime into a glass and cut the other half into small pieces to muddle with the sugar.
- Use good quality cachaça: The type of cachaça you use will greatly affect the flavor of your cocktail. Aim for a higher quality bottle, and avoid using any that are labeled as industrial cachaça.
- Muddle the ingredients well: The sugar and lime need to be muddled really well in order to extract the full flavor. Use a muddler or the back of a spoon to crush the lime and sugar together until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add ice and cachaça: Fill the glass with ice, then pour in the cachaça. Give everything a gentle stir, being careful not to over-dilute the drink.
- Adjust sweetness: Taste the drink and add more sugar if desired. Keep in mind that some brands of cachaça can be sweeter than others, so adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with lime: Cut a slice of lime and place it on top of the drink to add a pop of color and an extra burst of lime flavor. Enjoy!
Alcohol-free alternative to the Caipirinha
One alcohol-free alternative to Caipirinha is a mocktail called ‘Virgindade.’ To make this drink, you will need 3/4 cup fresh lime juice, 1/2 cup simple syrup, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, and 1 can of sparkling water. Mix the lime juice, simple syrup, and vanilla extract in a shaker with ice, and shake well. Pour the mixture into a glass filled with ice and top with sparkling water. Garnish with a lime wedge, and enjoy your refreshing Virgindade cocktail.
Caipirinha fun facts
Caipirinha is the national drink of Brazil and is made by smashing fresh lime wedges with sugar and muddling it with Cachaça, a type of rum made from sugarcane juice.
It was first created in the early 20th century as a remedy for the Spanish flu.
The name “Caipirinha” comes from the Brazilian word “caipira”, which means “rural” or “someone from the countryside”.
The drink was heavily promoted during the 2014 FIFA World Cup, which was hosted by Brazil, and is now a popular cocktail around the world.
September 13th is National Cachaça Day in Brazil, and many people celebrate by enjoying a refreshing glass of Caipirinha.