Bramble is a classic cocktail made with gin, lemon juice, sugar syrup, and blackberry liqueur. It’s a refreshing and fruity drink with a hint of tartness.
- 50 ml Gin
- 25 ml Fresh Lemon Juice
- 12.5 ml Sugar Syrup
- 15 ml Crème de Mûre
Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker except the Crème de Mûre, shake well with ice, strain into chilled old fashioned glass filled with crushed ice, then pour the blackberry liqueur (Crème de Mûre) over the top of the drink, in a circular motion.
Directions for how to make the Bramble
- Pour all ingredients except Crème de Mûre into a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice to the cocktail shaker.
- Shake the cocktail shaker well for a few seconds.
- Strain the contents of the shaker into a chilled old fashioned glass filled with crushed ice.
- Pour the Crème de Mûre over the top of the drink in a circular motion.
- Your Bramble drink is now ready to be served!
Tips for how to make the perfect Bramble
- Use fresh blackberries for muddling and garnishing. Frozen berries can be used as well, but fresh ones add more flavor.
- Make sure to use high-quality gin to give the drink a smooth and balanced taste. Avoid using cheap gin as it can make the drink taste harsh.
- Use a high-quality raspberry liqueur for the best flavor. Chambord is a popular choice, but any good quality raspberry liqueur will do.
- Balance the sweetness of the raspberry liqueur with tart lemon juice. Freshly squeezed lemon juice is best, but bottled lemon juice can be used as well.
- To make the drink extra special, use a homemade blackberry syrup. Simply simmer fresh blackberries with sugar and water to make a sweet and tangy syrup that pairs perfectly with gin and raspberry liqueur.
- Serve the drink over crushed ice and garnish with fresh blackberries and a lemon wedge. Enjoy!
Alcohol-free alternative to the Bramble
An alcohol free alternative to the drink Bramble is an iced tea concoction made with blackberries and lemon. The base is brewed black tea, mixed with a homemade blackberry syrup created with fresh blackberries and sugar. The syrup is then stirred into the iced tea, along with freshly squeezed lemon juice, and garnished with fresh blackberries and a slice of lemon. This refreshing and flavorful drink offers a similar taste profile to a Bramble cocktail, but without the alcohol.
Bramble fun facts
- Bramble was invented by a British bartender named Dick Bradsell in the 1980s.
- The cocktail features gin, lemon juice, sugar syrup, and blackberry liqueur.
- It is commonly garnished with fresh blackberries and a lemon wedge.
- The name Bramble comes from the way the berry liqueur swirls and spreads through the drink, resembling the thorny vines of a bramble bush.
- Bramble was inspired by the classic gin sour and was created to showcase the unique flavor of blackberry liqueur.