The Americano is a classic cocktail made with Campari, sweet vermouth, and club soda. It is known for its bitter and refreshing taste.
- 3 cl Campari
- 3 cl sweet red vermouth
- A splash of soda water
Pour the Campari and vermouth over ice into an old fashioned glass, add a splash of soda water and garnish with half orange slice and a lemon twist.
Directions for how to make the Americano
- Fill an old fashioned glass with ice
- Pour 3cl of Campari over the ice
- Pour 3cl of sweet red vermouth over the Campari
- Add a splash of soda water
- Garnish with half orange slice and a lemon twist
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips for how to make the perfect Americano
- Ingredients: The key to a perfect Americano cocktail is using good quality ingredients. Use a high-quality vermouth and Campari to give the cocktail a rich and complex flavor.
- Ratio: The classic Americano cocktail is made with equal parts Campari, sweet vermouth, and soda water. However, you can adjust the ratios to your personal preference. If you prefer a stronger cocktail, use more Campari and vermouth, and if you prefer a lighter cocktail, use more soda water.
- Garnish: Add a lemon twist to the glass to give the cocktail a fresh and bright note. You can also add a sprig of fresh mint to complement the bitterness of the Campari.
- Ice: Use large ice cubes to keep the cocktail cold without diluting it too quickly. You can also freeze some of the Campari mixture into ice cubes for an extra burst of flavor.
- Stir: Stir the cocktail well with a long-handled spoon to ensure that all the ingredients are fully mixed and the flavors are well-blended.
- Glassware: Serve the Americano cocktail in a large rocks glass or tumbler over ice.
Alcohol-free alternative to the Americano
A possible alcohol free alternative to an Americano could be the Italian soda. The Italian soda is a refreshing and light drink that features sparkling water or soda water, flavored syrup, and fresh fruit. It can be made in a variety of flavors such as raspberry, blackberry, peach, vanilla, or lemon. To create a classic Italian soda, start by filling a tall glass with ice, adding 1-2 tablespoons of the chosen syrup, and then fill the glass with soda water. Stir gently and add fresh fruit slices on top. This beverage is a perfect option for those who want a flavorful and bubbly drink without the addition of alcohol.
Americano fun facts
- The Americano cocktail was originally called the “Milano-Torino” because it was made of Campari from Milan and sweet vermouth from Turin.
- The Americano is believed to have been the first cocktail ordered by James Bond in the Ian Fleming novels.
- In Italy, it is common to order an “Americano sbagliato” which is made with Prosecco instead of soda water.
- Variations of the Americano include the Negroni, which adds gin to the mix, and the Vermouth Cassis, which substitutes cassis liqueur for soda water.
- The Americano gained popularity in the US during Prohibition, as it was one of the few legal cocktails that Americans could enjoy at the time.