A Champagne cocktail is a classic cocktail that includes Champagne or other sparkling wine as the key ingredient. It typically includes a liqueur, bitters, and sometimes sugar.
Champagne cocktail recipe
- 9cl Champagne
- 1cl Cognac
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 Sugar cube
Add dash of Angostura bitter onto sugar cube and drop it into champagne flute. Add cognac followed by gently pouring chilled champagne. Garnish with orange slice and maraschino cherry.
Directions for how to make the Champagne cocktail
- Add 2 dashes of Angostura bitters onto a sugar cube.
- Drop the bitters-coated sugar cube into a champagne flute.
- Add 1cl of Cognac into the flute.
- Gently pour 9cl of chilled Champagne into the flute.
- Garnish with an orange slice and maraschino cherry.
Tips for how to make the perfect Champagne cocktail
- Choose the right Champagne: Use dry Champagne for cocktail drinks as it blends well with other flavors. Sweet Champagne can make the drink too sugary.
- Add complementary flavors: Add a splash of cognac for richness or fruit juice for a fresh, zesty taste. A drop of bitters can also add depth to the drink.
- Keep it chilled: Serve the Champagne cocktail in a chilled glass or add ice cubes to keep it cold.
- Use the right glass: Serve Champagne cocktails in a tall, narrow glass called a flute, or a wider glass called a coupe. This allows the Champagne to retain its bubbles and aroma.
- Garnish with a twist: Finish the cocktail with a twist of lemon or lime, or add berries or mint leaves to complement the flavors.
Alcohol-free alternative to the Champagne cocktail
An alcohol-free alternative to a Champagne cocktail can be a Sparkling Cider Cocktail, which can provide the same fizzy and celebratory feeling without the alcohol. To make this, one can take a bottle of sparkling apple cider, add a splash of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, and a few dashes of bitters. This can be poured into a champagne flute and garnished with a slice of apple and a sprig of rosemary for added aroma and visual appeal. The Sparkling Cider cocktail can be a refreshing and delicious drink for all ages and occasions.
Champagne cocktail fun facts
- The Champagne cocktail is not a traditional cocktail, as it consists of only two ingredients: Champagne and a sugar cube soaked in Angostura bitters.
- The drink was created in the mid-1800s as a way to mask inferior Champagne by adding sugar and bitters.
- The sugar cube used in the drink is typically made from white sugar, but brown sugar or raw sugar can also be used.
- The Champagne cocktail gained popularity in the United States during the 1920s and 1930s, during the Prohibition era.
- The bubbles in Champagne actually enhance the flavors of the bitters and sugar in the cocktail, making it a delicious and refreshing choice for celebrations or special occasions.